Quoting Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

The simplest thing is to just explain it on a web page, but there is no
explicit
way to tell the programs that white is being compensated (or not) for
the
handicap stones and that bothers me.

The first step is to inform future programmers of the compensation. KGS uses a
special command for playing and placing free handicap. Right now I do not
remember if this is part of the GTP protocol or if it is an extension of KGS.
The only hard problem I can see would be if the server would "fake" handicap by
playing black moves with white passes. Then it would be impossible to know for
sure if it is a handicap game or not. But as long as there are explicit
commands for the handicap given it is not hard to implement and it would also
work later because as far as I know all important servers and programs uses the
compensation.

-Merry christmas!
Magnus