Hello,

At one point in this lengthy ongoing discussion, it was noted that it
is not polite to keep playing after the result is already determined.
The Japanese rules do penalize these moves by one player as long
as the other player is knowledgeable enough to see the situation
correctly and simply pass, thereby picking up a point.

For me the polite way to end a game is to resign as soon as the game is
lost. The sooner one player
resigns, the better he understands the position (assuming he does not resign
on a won position :)).
Games are often over much before the pass move... (at least in computer Go).

To bring this back to computer Go and what it implies about the level
of understanding of the game we can attribute to the programs, I will
point to the last round of the recent KGS slow tournament. Look at
the game between SlugGo and MoGo.

Yes you're right, but MoGo is polite with human (you can play against it on
KGS to see) and
pass as soon as possible (if you pass), but that means you lost because else

it would have resigned before :). Sometimes it is even too soon, as KGS
counts territories only if there are totally closed,
even if it does not matter where you close the territory. MoGo states status
of territories using simulations, and consider
that the game is finished if the number of undecided intersections do not
change the final result. It is to be as polite as possible for
humans.
Again sorry for this incredibly long game, I was expecting that programs
resign before the end. The politness by passing is enabled only
against human. MoGo against computer is polite only by resigning, but
hopefully does not resign on won games :).

Sylvain