In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Robert Jasiek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Nick Wedd wrote:
I think
the 1989 Japanese rules are clearly defined for all cases.

The Japanese 1989 Rules are undefined for each final
scoring position! Details are available on my webpages
and in google's archives of rec.games.go threads. Since
this is not a rules mailing list, I do not explain every
detail here again. It shall suffice to recall that "cannot"
in "if they cannot be captured by the opponent" is undefined:
It defines neither hypothetical-sequence nor hypothetical-strategy.
Not even the starting player of a hypothetical-sequence is mentioned
in the rules.

I assume that "cannot be captured by the opponent" means that the opponent, playing first, cannot capture it. I accept that it is unclear whether this opponent is the actual one present in the game, or a hypothetical competent one.

But this is a different argument.  I prefer Chinese rules to Japanese.

Nick
--
Nick Wedd    [EMAIL PROTECTED]