The discussion isn't mundane,  it has helped me understand the rule-set
differences even better.

I also think it's an important discussion for the future of GO,  I
believe it's generally understood that Japanese rules is traditional,
but the future is Chinese - that's the direction things have been
moving.

Most of the mediocre Chinese programs understand when the game is
over and know what groups are dead.   This isn't rocket science
except in extreme cases it can get tough.   In those cases the
Japanese programs are equally clueless.   Trying to determine
the exact moment to pass seems like a tedious unimportant
exercise that at best will give you a stone or two if you have
a reasonable program.

- Don