-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Don Dailey
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 9:17 PM
To: computer-go
Subject: Re: Re:[computer-go] MoGo

This article didn't specify the boardsize.   This has no
chance of being interesting unless it's played on a 9x9
board.

If it is on a 19x19 board,  it's pretty much a silly exhibition
match that has no point.

If it's on a 9x9 board, it starts to be more interesting, but
assuming that is the case,  the experiment could be much
more interesting.

Notice the disparity in the two claims:

  1.  A claim that it's "near the level of a professional"
  2.  A counter-claim it isn't even close to 1 dan

One or both of these claims is way off base.   If Mogo is humiliated
in this match, to the average person it will appear as proof of
the second claim.   The average person is far too impressed
by poorly constructed experiments like this.   Of course I
believe Mogo is easily 1 dan, perhaps much stronger at 9x9.   But
I would find a 9x9 SERIOUS match against a 1 or 2 dan player
far more interesting.

That's because I think Mogo would win such a match.  Then we
could say, "there is strong evidence to indicate Mogo is playing
at least in the 2 dan range or higher!"

On the other hand, if Mogo loses against a 6 dan player, there
is not much that can be said (unless of course the match is
close.)   But I know from personal experience that close matches
are never taken seriously.   It will get "spun" as the human
being taken by surprise against a much weaker but spunky opponent,
and then when the human decided to take the match seriously, it
was no contest.   If the computer finishes strong but loses, the
spin is that the human, after winning the first few games easily,
let his guard down (or decided to have fun with his opponent by
playing speculated experimental moves to "see what the computer
would do.")

I'm excited of course that there is a serious match - at least
Mogo is strong enough to spark this kind of interest.   Of
course I would love to see Mogo win, but as optimistic as I
am of computer progress with MC and UCT I don't see that there
is much of a chance against a 6 dan.   I hope I am wrong!

On the other hand, Mogo is so strong, that it can't be
reasonably tested on CGOS.  Weak version of Mogo that play
almost instantly are being tested on CGOS and there is
large strength gap between them and the next best programs.

So it would be fun to have a realistic test of how strong
Mogo is.  Perhaps it IS close to a 6 dan in strength,
presumably they have made many improvements and continue
to make them.  If Mogo is strong enough to win even 1 game,
I think it will be at least a somewhat interesting result.

- Don