There is the possibility of more than one anchor.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: computer-go@computer-go.org
Sent: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: Re:[computer-go] MoGo

I'm not so sure we need to have a really strong Anchor.  The Anchor's
role is to prevent rating drift over the long term.    It I turned
CGOS lose without any anchor, it could inflate or deflate over time
and that was the only reason I wanted to have an anchor.

However, it makes sense for an Anchor to be close to the median
strength of the players, otherwise it becomes like an Anchor
attached to a long rubber band.   It still anchors but there
is too much wandering around.

So I suggest that an upgrade is good, but it doesn't have to be
top strength.

I just did a quck estimate of the average strength of all the
recent rated players and the average is close to 1600 if you
throw out the negative rated players.   This also coresponds
roughly to the median player.   I would still prefer favoring
an Anchor that is more representative of stronger players as
opposed to the simple heuristic players - so that pushes it
up a bit more.

When AnchorMan started out it was well above the median, now
it's abot 100 ELO below give or take.   A 1600 would be
a big improvement and put it solidly into the median, but
I think we want a couple of hundred above that to represent
future improvements and build an Anchor around the stronger
half.   I think we need anything from 1800-2000 and this
might be a version of gnugo with an enhanced highly varied
opening book system.

There are many versions of gnugo floating around.  Which one
is ggexp?   Is is a version about to be released, part of the
development cycle of gnugo?   Or is there is a stronger version
available?

I could also put together a fixed version of Lazarus.  Not the
2100 strength version but a version playing at a fixed level
that would play the same strength on any computer.   I could
not run it on the server and I could not run it all the time
from my home, but me might let 2 or 3 people run clones as
Anchors.    It would probably play about 1900 strength.  In
fact I could start preparing and testing a version that will
hit this target strength.

- Don