>it
> has functions to turn a 0..N coord into x and y coords, functions to
> rotate points, functions to return the coord a certain distance away
> (e.g. ikken to the North, keima to the South-East).

Okay, I've got functions that detect a certain relation between
stones--and can be linked together to specify relations between these
relations, etc

but

When I rotate/flip the board, those relations are now in a different
orientation and the same functions won't necessarily recognize them.

So this would have to be done from the beginning... Whenever a new
relation is generated to join two existing subpatterns, the 8 forms of
each of those would need to already be included in the existing set of
patterns.

Would this add as much hassle to the program as I expect, or does it turn
out somehow simpler?

Forrest Curo