It's because strong players play strong moves, and the program has knowledge
about the strong moves.  When Mogo plays an unconventional move, Many Faces
has less knowledge, and is more likely to do something really stupid.
People are more able to respond well to odd moves.

9x9 is a different case, since mogo plays nearly perfectly once the opening
is done, unless there is a rare tactic that falls outside the uct tree so
the monte carlo doesn't see it.  In 19x19 middle games, mogo is still
relying on the monte carlo playouts rather than the uct tree, so it is more
sensitive to tactics.  I've watched it play 19x19, and it plays greedy for
territory while leaving many weaknesses.  A human will focus on the
weaknesses and find some deep tactics to exploit them.  Many Faces won't do
this since it expects the opponent to play the "honest" move and not leave
this kind of weakness.

But the only way to settle this is to do some experiments.  I could
certainly be wrong.  If we have a mogo-many faces match on 19x19 cgos, and
we also have them play for ratings against people on kgs, it would settle
it.

David