He is clearly posing for a picture, this is not a spontaneous
photograph.   Notice the "Thinker" pose.

I'm not a good go player at all, but the board position seems a little
unnatural to me.   But it could be my lack of experience.

Over the last few decades, there have been may movies and television
shows where a chess board appears in some scene with perhaps someone
player a game.   These are almost always WRONG in some obvious way.

For instance someone plays a move and announces check.  Then the
response is a checkmate!    Possible, but highly improbably.   Very
common is the king and queen on the wrong squares or a pawn on the 1st
rank or something else really silly.   Although a king and queen could
move to these squares, it's extremely unlikely, especially near the
opening.

- - Don