From: Ian Osgood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:26:25 AM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] XML alternatives to SGF

On Oct 23, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:

> Much of the discussion in this thread has focused very narrowly on
> using an XML format to replace SGF, I believe that if an XML format
 is
> to take off, it should offer capabilities beyond what are possible in
> SGF, conversion to XML for XMLs sake is pointless. Possibilities
> include:
>
> * A method for presenting translated comments, i.e. the same comments
> in different languages, so a program can display only the appropriate
> ones.
>
> cheers
> stuart

I'm surprised no one has brought up an obvious benefit of XML: well
defined character encoding. A prime weakness of SGF is its
unspecified character encoding. I thought that SGF is not well
accepted in Asia due to this limitation.

Re: coordinate normalization. This seems really trivial to me, easily
something that could be incorporated as an option into the existing
SGF standard. The code change would be minor. (I also presume that
any proposal would retain the quirk of skipping the letter "i" in the
horizontal coordinates?)

Ian