On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:02 -0400, Jason House wrote
> Obviously, small changes can't be done violently as it'd break
> everything.  For an sgf reader, this change is so simple to implement,
> it's trivial.  By first getting programs to read the formats and make
> converters available, it becomes quite safe to shift the standard.

But it isn't "quite safe", because until the vast majority of sgf tools
support the change, you will end up with incompatible files floating
around.

> PS: I'm all for your suggestion to enhance the format to support
> real-time playback of games/review.  I don't know if it's FF[5] or
> maybe GM[2], but that'd definitely be a nice change.

I want to stress this point.  The format hasn't changed in years and is
well-established.  Instead of making an ad-hoc change for little
benefit, take the time to define a new version of the standard that's
*worth* upgrading to.  I could even support a new version of that didn't
worth work with old tools, as long as the new version was compelling.

But the intentional corruption of the current standard?  Do we need to
relive the HTML days?  Encouraging non-standard, ad hoc implementations
is just a Bad Idea.

-Jeff