> I'm surprised no one has brought up an obvious benefit of XML: well
> defined character encoding. A prime weakness of SGF is its unspecified
> character encoding. I thought that SGF is not well accepted in Asia
> due to this limitation.
I'm also a firm believer in UTF-8 only.   This is an example of
insanity, having so many different encodings.   But please let's not
talk about that one here.

> Re: coordinate normalization. This seems really trivial to me, easily
> something that could be incorporated as an option into the existing
> SGF standard. The code change would be minor. (I also presume that any
> proposal would retain the quirk of skipping the letter "i" in the
> horizontal coordinates?)
That's how I feel.   It's trivial and highly benefical.   Not everyone
would benefit because most people never directly look at SGF.   However
it's supposed to be human readable friendly and this is a no-brainer.

- Don