> [XML] is like going backwards to the 60ies (OK, there are some thing
> XML is good for -- is't developed as HTML successor and in this area
> XML has quite some advantages; in some cases it's also good as
> intermediate data exchange format, but not always; as an primary
> format to save data in most cases it's one of the worst choices...
> IMHO).

I'm also quite firmly not in the XML-for-everything camp (*) but have
you considered the business reason: why bother with both a primary data
format and an intermediate data exchange format; there may as well be
just one format. Optimize later.

Darren

*: The first thing I do with most XML files that I need to do anything
serious with is turn them into a csv file (unless the data is genuinely
hierarchical, and collapsing it is unreasonable, but that is rare)