mingwu wrote:

>> Playing randomly like that shouldn't work, but when you play Mogo et al,
>> you see that intelligent behaviour emerges.
>>

> Although interesting, I would hardly call that 'intelligence' :-)  And I
> suspect how far it can achieve on 19x19 board (compare to human players of
> course).

The explanations given were greatly simplified.   Actually, these
programs have a ton of research behind them are not just explained
simply by a a bunch of random games.      So the approach is quite
intelligence.

One breakthrough has been making the play-outs "less random" and so they
actually have been crafted to give the best results with a lot of
outside knowledge added.       Also, they are search based which means a
search tree is built in memory and a great deal of effort has been spent
on how to expand this tree in the most efficient way possible.

This has already proved to be the best way forward (so far) as the 19x19
programs using the approach are playing the best go of all the programs.

So you may worry about "how far it can achieve on 19x19",  but now it's
not the Monte Carlo approach that is really in question,  it's the OTHER
approaches that you should now be doubting.

With the current trend of Moores law to produce faster computers with
more cores and memory,  this is truly good news for go programs and
especially this technique which is guaranteed to improve with more
powerful hardware.