[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> How can you call it 'intelligence' if a person limits one's thoughts and
> viewpoints to a narrow domain?

Yes,  I agree.   It really took some imagination and open mindedness to
discover UCT and Monte Carlo since it breaks so sharply away from the
old traditional way of writing a go program.

It's still not clear to me what the ultimate approach is.   It could be
that a properly written classical program can compete - such as the
approach David Fotland is using where global search is an important
component to an already knowledge rich program.

These are all intelligent approach as far as I am concerned.    You see
that the programs continue to expand to utilize resources better and
continue to improve slowly but surely.

It's not uncommon in computer science and mathematics to eventually see
many  methods as a special case of some generalization.   All approaches
that are producing farily strong programs have a search component and an
evaluation component mixed in different ratios.   We just like to get
hung up on the exact implementation details and imagine that different
approaches have nothing in common.

- Don