I am, sadly, in the 9 kyu AGA range, yet can regularly create situations which
Mogo cannot read on a 19x19 board. Harder to do on a 9x9 board, but I have done
it.

Don asks how significant a jump of 3 kyu is. On a 19x19 board, one with a 3 kyu
advantage can give a 3 stone handicap to the weaker player, and still win half
the games. For an even game, a 3 kyu difference usually translates to about 30
points. Humans don't usually keep track of the winning percentage for even
games among disparate players, unfortunately.

This is modulo experience with handicap vs even games. I have a lot of
experience with using handicap stones to my advantage; many players do not.
Conversely, even games give me trouble; I am often behind by 20 points coming
out of the even-game fuseki, and must make up the difference during the midgame.

Handicap stones give a formidable advantage on the smaller 9x9 board; they are
used for teaching games where there is a great disparity of skill.

I am concerned that the current study is, as Jacques has so ably described, a
study of a restricted game where nakade and certain other moves are considered
to be illegal; this restricted game approaches the game of Go, but the programs
have certain blind spots which humans can and do take advantage of. These
aren't computer-specific blind spots; humans train on life-and-death problems
in order to gain an advantage over other humans also.

Terry McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state
education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit
obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]