It would get it eventually, which means this doesn't inhibit scalability.

I don't expect every aspect of a program to improve at the same rate -
but if a program is "properly" scalable, you can expect that it doesn't
regress with extra time.   It only moves forward, gets stronger with
more thinking time.        You might complain about a glaring
weakness,   but even that weakness doesn't get worse, it gets better.
Some aspects of it's play by improve more quickly than others by our
perceptions.

Having said that,  I am interested in this.  Is there something that
totally prevents the program from EVER seeing the best move?    I don't
mean something that takes a long time,  I mean something that has the
theoretical property that it's impossible to every find the best move,
even given eternity?

I believe this is possible based on an interaction of the pass rules and
the eye rule in the play-outs,  but I'm not a very strong go player so I
would have to think about it.

- Don