> Perhaps I'm mistaken in my reading, but isn't Mogo a clusterized and highly
> tuned version of gnugo? Things like that made me want to make this post. As
> I find the Go programming community more open to sharing ideas and code than
> my chess world counter part.
>
> Will gladly stand corrected w/ Mogo if i'm wrong. Though curious to hear
> everyones input.

As already pointed out by other people, MoGo is absolutely not
a development based on Gnugo's code. Perhaps it should, as Gnugo is probably
more clean :-)

Some related points:

- MoGo's early developments were based on CrazyStone. Without
   looking at the code of CrazyStone, but with many help from Rémi
   Coulom. The main initial difference, I guess, was the patterns
   introduced by Yizao Wang, and then the RAVE values by Sylvain
   and David.

- Some inclusion of other software inside MoGo was tested, but none
   of these inclusions was kept, neither used in official games - these
   inclusions were never beneficial. The only exception is the use of
   code from Mango (done by me and the author of Mango
   together), but Mango was never participating the same
   competition as MoGo.

- Even if nobody has included code from Gnugo, I guess that all of us
   have used Gnugo intensively for testing and tuning. From this
   point of view, the authors of Gnugo are indirectly the authors of
   MoGo, and probably also CrazyStone, ManyFaces, Zen, etc. I guess
   the binaries of MoGo have been used a lot also, even if only early
   versions are freely available. I guess binaries are much more used
   that codes and therefore MoGo has been used as much as Gnugo
   even if the source code is only given on request and not as open
   source.

- Also, we used the Tsumego provided by Yamato and others on this
   mailing list, as well as e.g. the comments by David Fotland around
   nakade. The scaling study by Don and others was also helpful. The
   Rave values were influenced by early papers on Amaf values.

I've forgotten many helpful hints from many people - the fact that it's so
long to list all contributors probably means that computer-go is friendly
and collaborative :-)