There was a huge discussion of this on the computer chess forum.

As it turns out, software and hardware are somewhat intertwined.  You would
not write a chess the same way if all you had was a 6502 processor.  Most of
the early chess software didn't have the hardware to support hash tables,
so the comparison is not entirely fair as both software and hardware have a
kind of symbiotic relationship.

But Rybka 3, when it came out, was something like 100 ELO or more stronger
than the second best CURRENT program.   And world class programs of 10 years
ago are almost pathetic by today's standards, even running on modern
hardware.    I think Larry Kauman estimated that in the past decade,
software and hardware was about equally responsible for the increase of
playing strength.      That means if you could bring Rybka 10 years into the
past,  even running on that hardware you would have a program several
hundred ELO stronger and nothing else would even be in the same league.   I
wish I could give you a more specific estimate but I can't.

- Don