From: computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org
[mailto:computer-go-boun...@computer-go.org] On Behalf Of Don Dailey
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2009 11:15 AM
To: computer-go
Subject: Re: [computer-go] MCTS, 19x19, hitting a wall? moore's law limits

The advertisement claims that an OS can be installed on each core including
linux.   So I don't know why you say it's no good for general computing.
I think you mean each core is far less powerful than a core 2 duo core?

I have not looked at the overview paper yet,  but it seems like there is no
point having 64 on a chip if each is severely crippled up, unless of course
there is something they can do much better than a general purpose CPU.
Would you estimate that applications that are pure computation and not
memory bandwidth would run significantly faster on one of these?

I fear we are going to get to the point where we cannot utilize more
processors very effectively without taking huge compromises.   We will
always be able to utilize more to a degree, but we will get to the point
where doubling the number of cores only adds 10% to the speed of the
computation.    We will change our algorithms and adapt to this, but we will
always be working around the problems that require some degree of
serialization.     Tree search can never be fully parallel and remain as
efficient as a serial algorithm.

- Don

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 4:21 AM, David Fotland <fotl...@smart-games.com>