[ Digression: Some ANN architectures are more biologically plausible than
others. "Neuromorphic Engineering" is a good search term to see what's going on
along those lines. (But for a beginner project, the standard multi-layer
perceptron with backpropogation would still be the natural choice.) Neural nets
have been called "the second best solution to every problem." That's both
criticism and praise. When the objective is to quickly solve the engineering
problem at hand and then move on with your life, it can be a handy skill to
have. ]

For an interesting but realistic beginner project, I like this suggestion from
Magnus.

> From: Magnus Persson magnus.pers...@phmp.se

> I guess neural networks is fine for learning pattern priorities for example.

> There are probably just simpler and faster

> methods for doing that.

> Anyway a good project would be learning 3x3 patterns for MC heavy playouts
> with a large number of extra features

> such as exact liberty counts, distance from edge and corner etc. I guess the
> best use of a neural network would be

> to create a mapping from a huge feature space to a move ordering, where more
> straightforward pattern matching

> would fail because the number of patterns are too high.

One could use the "simpler and faster methods" to compare against one's own
results, before moving up to larger patterns, and patterns combined with
features.

- Dave Hillis

Quoting Petr Baudis <pa...@ucw.cz>:

> Hi!
>
> Is there some "high-level reason" hypothesised about why there are
> no successful programs using neural networks in Go?
>
> I'd also like to ask if someone has a research tip for some
> interesting Go sub-problem that could make for a nice beginner neural
> networks project.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Petr "Pasky" Baudis
> A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.
> That's the problem, they need to read them. -- Don Knuth

--Magnus Persson
Berlin, Germany