I'm not Remi, but I know a bit about Numenta. I gave a "lightning talk" at their workshop about a year and a half ago. A few people at Numenta are interested in using their software for Go, and I was working with one of them before my
heart problems stopped that work.

I do not think that they are all start-up hype, but their product is still short a few features that would be needed to play Go. Lately they have mostly been working on image recognition, and their proposed "prediction" module won't get up to release standards until they are even further along with the vision
modules.

The existing image modules could possibly be used for evaluation functions, but that seemed hard to me. I am willing to wait for the prediction module
that would more directly lead to move generation.

Cheers,
David