Neural networks are not considered obsolete by the machine learning
community; in fact there is much active research on neural networks
and the term is understood to be quite general.  SVMs are linear
classifiers for hand-engineered features.  When a single layer of
template-matchers isn't enough, neural networks can be quite effective
for extracting features that could be a "kernel" for an SVM or
whatnot.  If anything, neural networks research gets marketed as
research on probabilistic graphical models more often than it gets
marketed as kernel machines research.

- George