OK, this thread is quite long, and I am not sure I saw all posts :)

My suggestion, rate the bots on CGOS before the tournament and take
this rating for McMahon or for handicaps. I think we can thrust the
bot authors to take the correct rating and report it during tournament
registration.

This would even calibrate the CGOS rating to KGS as a side effect.

Detlef