This is an old story--see the comment below this summary of the original
debate, if you like.

On Sep 13, 2007, at 10:47 PM, b_s-wilk wrote:

> OT WARNING!!
>
> -Walmart makes deals with communities not to pay local taxes in return
> for bringing jobs to the area.

This is a problem with local / state governments willing to offer tax
incentives in an attempt to beggar their neighbor - any business that
left such on the table when they know it is available would be violating
their fiduciary duty to their shareholders.

> -Walmart underpays employees, sometimes making them work without pay,
> and employees often need gov't assistance, i.e. food stamps,
subsidized
> housing. That is paid by local taxpayers, not Walmart.

If employees are made to work off the clock...that is a criminal or
civil offense...That some of its employees are otherwise in need of
government assistance puts those employees squarely in the mainstream of
american society - we have structured our society such that a
significant minority, if not a majority, have become dependent on
government for day to day needs.

> -Walmart either doesn't pay health benefits, or pays so little that
> employees have to pay the difference themselves, which they can't
afford
> on Walmart wages, or get Medicaid, paid by local taxpayers, not
Walmart.

Does Walmart have some inherent obligation to pay healthcare?  There
Might be a business case to do so...but that does not translate into an
obligation.

COMMENT:

`Are there no prisons?'' asked Scrooge.

``Plenty of prisons,'' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

``And the Union workhouses?'' demanded Scrooge. ``Are they still in
operation?''

``They are. Still,'' returned the gentleman, `` I wish I could say they
were not.''

``The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?'' said
Scrooge.

``Both very busy, sir.''

``Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had
occurred to stop them in their useful course,'' said Scrooge. ``I'm very
glad to hear it.''

``Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of
mind or body to the multitude,'' returned the gentleman, ``a few of us
are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink,
and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all
others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I
put you down for?''

``Nothing!'' Scrooge replied.

``You wish to be anonymous?''

``I wish to be left alone,'' said Scrooge. ``Since you ask me what I
wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at
Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to
support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those
who are badly off must go there.''

``Many can't go there; and many would rather die.''

``If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, ``they had better do it, and
decrease the surplus population. Besides -- excuse me -- I don't know
that.''

``But you might know it,'' observed the gentleman.

``It's not my business,'' Scrooge returned. ``It's enough for a man to
understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's.
Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!''