First off.

Anyone who tries to compete against Walmart head to head is an idiot.

Walmart is the largest grocer in town, but I still shop two smaller local stores because 1.) They carry things Walmart does not. 2.) I like their meat selections and quality better!

I do not buy everything at Walmart simply because they do not carry everything and I can beat them at other stores on items. They are not a be all to end all.

Also note. Check out how much cash, I.E. Grants the local stores hand out each year!!! You will be surprised. They hand out a lot of cash to different causes and activities and they tend not to discriminate about it either! In our community we can always trust Walmart to allow us to solicit in front of their store. Can't be said about all.

When I lived in Wisconsin, there was a local medical outfit owned and run by the doctors (Minimum pay for the Doctors was over $200,00 per year 7 years ago.) This was a lot larger in income than the Walmart store. They were tax exempt due to state law. They started buying Doctors clinics throughout the northern part of the state and when they bought them, they immediately became tax exempt! Each community w0ould have a meeting with the local clinic and arrange a payment to take the place of taxes due on the property (Wisconsins Property Taxes are quite heavty.) One year the city did not like the amount that was proposed by the local clinic (The main one which generated 8 figures of income a year.) So when it came time for some roads to be redone around the clinic the city declared it had no money and those improvements would have to be put on the back burner. The clinic reopened their talks and a newer higher amount was made to the city in lieu of property taxes.

By the way not very Walmart in every location is not paying taxes. In many locations they pay their fair share of property taxes. Only in cases where they negotiated to locate a Walmart and get an abatement of Taxes are they exempt and many of those are for a limited time only. After so many years they must pay taxes and pay them based on their current value not the original value.

Stewart