Cell phone numbers are recycled, more often for PAYGO. So if the person who gave up the number when they didn't bother to refill their card doesn't tell friends, etc., that the number isn't theirs any more, you will likely get their number with your new phone and their unwanted phone calls. If the person is under 25, you'll also get unwanted texts.

When you have one of the more expensive plans, you may get free voice mail, but that's not the case with basic plans or PAYGO. I have to use my minutes to check voice mail. If I had the service that costs twice as much, my voice mail would be "free". Some services will charge for voice mail messages that have been recorded, whether or not you retrieve them at all. I disabled my husband's voicemail on his little rubber cell phone for just that reason. He has caller ID. When he recognizes a number or a name in the phonebook, he answers or returns the call, otherwise he asks me how to delete the unknown number.

   ;-)

I followed the cell phone/spam disucssions with interest since about 3
years ago, I began receiving spam call/robot calls from the public
school system telling me that my child could not attend without the
propoer vacinations .... 3 problems: I have no school age children, I
don't live in that district, and the message provded no contact
information to tell them to stop. For a time, the calls were weekly or
even daily. I searched for phone numbers for the school district but
could never find the correct office. Eventually, last Spring, I was
given a number to call. I could only leave a voice message and never
got a call back but these robot calls appear to have stopped ...

Btw, no charge for checking voice mail.