At some point, I imagine most all backup will be done online because of the obvious advantages. Currently Amazon's S3 online backup service is one that I am aware of. Below are S3's rates.

Can anyone recommend others?
db

*United States
*

     */Storage/
     *$0.15 per GB-Month of storage used

     */Data Transfer/
     *$0.10 per GB - all data transfer in

     $0.18 per GB - first 10 TB / month data transfer out
     $0.16 per GB - next 40 TB / month data transfer out
     $0.13 per GB - data transfer out / month over 50 TB

     */Requests/
     *$0.01 per 1,000 PUT or LIST requests
     $0.01 per 10,000 GET and all other requests*
* No charge for delete requests

Fred Holmes wrote:
Where do you store your off-site backups?

A bare (not in a case) 3.5" hard drive will fit in a "small" bank safe deposit box, and
is conveniently used with one of the many available "bare" interfaces (no case, just the
electronics for data and power), e.g., USB to IDE/EIDE (or SATA).  Only the drive is stored.  The
interface is kept on site and used continually.

The nice thing about using a hard drive as backup media is that incremental backups are
consolidated (by copying new/newer files) into a directory tree that is current and
complete.  Copying can be with or without "replicating deletions" so that old
stuff can be preserved in the backup.  The backup can be readily tested, since the files
appear on an ordinary hard drive.  And it is quick to find and restore a single file or
two.

Fred Holmes