On Jan 2, 2008, at 9:46 AM, Tom Piwowar wrote:

So I interpret "best way" as least difficult way to achieve sufficient
quality for use in a CD player.

I leave it to Richard to improve on this definition.

  You are right.  "Best way" is open to conjecture.

Let's go back to digital cameras for a moment here. Regarding your previous assertion that noise is a separate issue from megapixel count in a given sensor size, I disagreed then and still do.

The smaller the sensor photosites, the more that amplification is required in order to achieve a reasonable signal level. More pixels on a CCD of a given size will mean smaller photosites that will require a higher degree of amplification than would larger photosites. That situation will increase the amplification noise levels, resulting in a decidedly higher megapixel count but at the expense of higher noise levels. The better solution is to make the sensor larger to accommodate the additional photosites, but that, of course, tends to require a larger camera. The clear trend these days, even as makers try to get folks to buy DSLRs, is to make those DSLRs and other camera styles as small as is possible, once again for convenience, not for the best image quality.

Personally, and from my preference in photography, I like a larger and steadier camera, even though one of mine of such design has image stabilization. I just do not like feather-weight miniature cameras that jiggle with even just a heartbeat. I have one of those point and shooters, but it is my "loaner" if someone needs it.

  Steve