We had a 17" desktop replacement that seems to have died for good now
at only about 2 years. It also needed warranty work. But laptops in
general get so abused it's hard to draw any conclusions from one
experience.

It looks like a fine machine to me, though I'll also admit my
experiences with Vista so far haven't inspired lots of confidence.
.