Robert,

This looks like a good plan. Thanks for the advice from a voice of experience.

Richard P.

Robert wrote:
My two cents:

If I were doing this, I would first copy cassette or records to the WAV format using a high-quality computer sound card. The sound card might have its own WAV program, or you could use Audacity.

Next, I would use an audio clean-up program to remove hiss, pops, and scratches. There are free trial downloads available; I use Diamond Cut Audio which can also fix old shellac 78s by expanding the audio and dynamics. If you have plenty of disk space, you can keep both the original and the cleaned versions.

For CDs, burn the WAV files (cleaned or not) using any CD burner, such as Nero or the software that came with your CD burner.

Finally, I would make mp3 files using an mp3 converter based upon Lame. I use Razorlame, which is free. For a medium-quality playback device like an iPod, I would use a variable bit rate with a center of 192 kb/sec., joint stereo mode (unless source is mono), and a roll-off filter set at 17.5 kHz. I would avoid the 128 kb/sec. bitrate which is often recommended as being good-enough quality.

Richard P. wrote:
To clarify, I want to be able to transfer my cassette/record music content to CD's so I can have access to my music in the future. I would prefer that what goes to the CD be in the highest quality possible. Along the way, I would put some of the music to iPod for my personal/portable use, which I realize is not high quality but acceptable under the circumstances. I also realize that there are possibly some digital mediums out there that can preserve music at a higher quality than CD's but that is not my goal. While nothing will be as good as the original source, having music that's accessible is better than no music at all.