I would add that in a strange twist of irony, Apple moving to the Intel
platform has rendered Sleepy Jackson's FoF effectively moot, since it
defined the Windows market as "x86."

Furthermore, in that time, Microsoft has been more open and Apple has been
more restrictive.  MS has no problem with you virtualizing Windows on a Mac
(and has recently liberalized Vista's legal virtualizing options), but Apple
has made it both legally and technically impossible* for you to virtualize
OS X on anything but Apple hardware.

*Most things are not technically impossible, someone will find a workaround,
but you get the idea.