What is sacrosanct about adults? The history books are full of boneheaded, greedy, malicious, absurd, murderous etc. things that ADULTS have done. Other than Lizzie Borden, I can't think of too many children who have created the calamities that humanity has experienced.

The advantage of collaboration and group think.... (in this case representative government/ regulation) ... is that history has shown that usually ... not always ... bringing more minds to bear in the decision and management process makes for a better outcome for most people. The trade-off in this kind "let's try to do better" of arrangement is that not everyone gets to do just what they want to do. Representative government came to be after thousands of years of "laissez faire" whoever is the fastest, strongest, meanest, smartest rules proved that didn't work. Kings and their friend were rich and everybody else was poor and nothing changed or was advanced very quickly.

The main reason the Fed bailed out Stearns is because Stearn's business was tied contractually to so many other companies/ banks etc in our economy. If the Fed allowed it to collapse it could easily have caused enough other businesses to fail that the US economy would have tumbled into a depression, which in turn could have tumbled the world economy into the same.

Most adults invested in real estate in the last decade or so because it was the only investment tool they had which could produce decent returns. They trusted the institutions to let them know if they qualified for doing so because that is what lending institutions have the expertise to traditionally do. When you arrange for a lawyer to conduct your legal affairs, is it expected that you also understand the details of the law? People trusted the banking industry to act like professionals but they were misled.

Jeff Wright wrote:
John--I'm not giving the banks a pass on this, but I've grown weary of the
violin strings played for adults who didn't even begin to have the resources
or were in any sort of position to buy a house, but absolutely had to have a
house, well, because everyone else was getting one.  If you want to make
excuses for people who got in over their heads with something they didn't
understand or didn't try to understand, but did anyway, be my guest.
The banks bear their own responsibility as well, of course.  They don't
deserve a bail-out either.  If they truly defrauded borrowers, not just talk
someone into a bad deal, they deserve jail.  Otherwise, let them go out of
business if they made too many high-risk loans that went sour on them.