Yes, most of the *data* you backup from WinXP will transfer to Vista.
At least, I can't think of any that won't.

If you're actually asking if *programs* will transfer, then no, most
won't - they'll need to be installed in Vista.

If you're just backing up personal data, you want Jungle Disk. If you
want to be able to restore your whole C: drive at a moment's notice
you need to image.
http://www.jungledisk.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image

Programs like BackupMyPC are very much yesterday's news, and have no
place in a good backup strategy in 2008.