Not sure why it's too much trouble if it's that easy to open the case.  I do
somewhat the same thing on my machine, partly because i have five internal
drives I have no desire to buy cases for all of them.  I have a drive for my
music and another drive for data etc.  The only issue really is that the
machine has to be shut down every time.

Mike

btw, I find acronis for imaging to be a better product then norton.