Some people have easy access to the case, many don't. I leave my own
case half open year round. But eSata basically costs nothing, and
improves the sturdiness of the system with a rear mounted bracket.

Hot swap of eSata is a whole 'nother issue. Mine usually works,
despite having my SATA running in EIDE mode.

Having recently evaluated both, I found Acronis lacking, and have
stuck with Ghost. Ghost (originally Drive Image from Powerquest) has
the best hardware compatibility and an ability to delete old backups
semi-intelligently. But Acronis _is_ cheaper. But then Drive Image XL
is free.