I've been watching this thread and I'm really tired of Mr. Rigby's unsubstantiated accusations of theft by TSA employees. The article says that 69% of the laptops are not reclaimed it does NOT say they were not recovered.

I work for TSA and most of the people I work with are HONEST people interested in ensuring the flying public can safely get from point A to point B. Some are young people just entering the workforce, some are retirees supplementing their income, and some of them are jerks. However, theft is not tolerated. I have seen officers terminated for failing to turn in the change people leave in the plastic bowls. So, please stop spouting random garbage about TSA stealing thousands of laptops.

If you are interesting in the real world of lost laptops at airport security here it is:

When a computer is left at a security checkpoint, a page announcing the lost computer is sent out if the checkpoint has access to a paging system. Otherwise, the computer is held at the security checkpoint until the end of the shift and then turned over to the local TSA operations center. The operations center logs the laptop serial number and turns it over to airport lost and found. Most airports maintain their lost and found inventory for a specific period of time then auction off the items. Check local auctions to find out when they auction off lost and found items and you can probably get your hands on a decent laptop at a very good price.

Having read the article I do believe that 10,000 laptops are left at airports every month. On any given day 5+ laptops are left at my airport and my airport probably isn't in the 36 busiest category. Most of these laptops are left by travelers rushing to catch a flight.

Howard

Steve Rigby wrote:
On Jul 8, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Tony B wrote:

 >   Whadda ya mean, much more likely?  Who is to say that it is not TSA
people who are the culprits, or involved in some way. The study showed that most of the "disappearances" appear to occur at the TSA security checkpoints.

  Steve