I think the study is flawed. If not, why hasn't any of us heard of
this auction of thousands of unclaimed laptops? What are the odds that
none of them has sensitive information and wouldn't have made the
news?

And yes, most definitely, if someone were to 'forget' a laptop at an
airport I would expect *whoever* finds it to go out of their way to
reunite it with the owner, not just take it home and sell it, or throw
it in an auction bin. And how are we to believe even hurried travelers
are going to forget something as heavy and obvious as a laptop??? You
might forget a kid, but not a laptop.

I have yet to see a pile of forgotten laptops at any TSA screening
area. Much more likely, since the study includes it, is theft. And
that's why so many people say they aren't going to try to get it back
- because there's basically nothing they can do, not because they left
it with TSA.