Not to jump into the RAID vs No-RAID fray...  but I seek a relatively
easily managed data backup solution.  I've got a photography business
and am trying to keep photos from various shoots around.  At this point,
I'm mostly looking for the hardware answer.  I'll worry about the
software side of things down the road.

My first solution was to keep copies of photos on 2 separate hard
drives.  I would just copy entire folders over to each drive although
that was cumbersome since I didn't always copy the folders to the 2nd
drive as they were created.  I also use an external hard drive (USB)
(that I keep off-site) that I only power on when I need to either
recover something or add to it.

A little over a year ago, I bought a WD My World Book II that offered 1
TB of storage.  Out of fear of a single-point of failure (and before I
saw any of the RAID discussion here), I set it up as a RAID (mirrored).

Even though the MTBF's of hard drives is getting into years or
decades.... over the weekend, the drive management console for the World
Book informed me one of the two drives had failed.  I've got it powered
off now and don't want to power it back on again until I have the drive
replaced and the mirror rebuilt - even if it's just a stop-gap
procedure.  Basically, I'm worried the other drive will crap out and
I'll be left with a paper weight.

I'm open to suggestions for data backup?  I can't (or won't) rely on
just 1 hard drive.  DVD backups are a possibility, as are CD.

I'm currently using about 200 or so gb disk space.

Online data backups are a possibility, although cost per month is
something I need to factor in as well.

Thanks,

Larry