I'd stick with what you have going now, a true backup and then mirrored
drives.  I don't think anyone can say for sure that in a year a DVD will
still work, I have some from a couple years ago that are starting to error
out.  I think it partially has to do with the drive they were originally
burned on.  I've noticed that if I want them to work for sure, I need to
keep the drive I burned them on.   My wife has about 8500 photos of the
kids, to threat of a bloody end, I have all of them on three HD's and also
on a NAS my friend has at his house which I update about every month.
Paranoia of wife beatings is the best motivation.

Mike