Larry,

For photos, consider storage in the cloud. Smugmug.com allows unlimited
photo storage for an annual fee. There are also paid versions of Google's
Picasa that provide large amounts of storage. The disadvantage is that it
will take a really long time to upload (or download) 200 GB, but keeping it
updated is not so bad, and it's one of the few solutions that protects you
in event of a disaster like fire, flood or tornado.

Smugmug has some other features of interest to professionals.

Jungledisk, which uses Amazon S3 on line storage, lets you store more than
just photos.

For local storage take a look at drobo.com. It's like RAID for the masses,
allows you to use drives of mixed size, provides data redundancy, and allows
you to hot-swap drives as they fail.

Combining redundant local storage with on line storage is as safe as you can
get.

py