>My friend Helene has a graphite CRT iMac, G3/500. Her CD/DVD player only >plays CDs and spits out DVDs. Is her player half broken? Is it >software/driver? Hardware? The drive itself is recognized in the System >Profiler.

This Mac probably has a CD drive, not a DVD drive. Spitting is the normal reaction in this situation. System Profiler should be telling you if the drive supports DVDs.

Time to shop for a Mac Mini.

iMac has a CD/DVD player, like the one that came in my G4/400. Must have been a special order? http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_dv_se_500.html She has been using it a lot to watch DVD videos, since her ancient TV has the hiccups and the a DVD player doesn't connect to the loose jack on the TV. She bought a new HDTV. Maybe she can get a Mini or iMac, but not until next year. Waiting to find out about the Brick. I offered to put a DVD burner into her external Teac CD burner case, but she's not sure, especially if she's getting new Mac.

Is there software that would make it not recognize DVDs while CDs mount OK?