>Is there software that would make it not recognize DVDs while CDs mount OK?

Unlikely, but I never say never when it comes to software or driver induced problems. Can you boot from a DVD containing the OS? That would rule this out.

The problem could be accumulated dust or a hairball inside the drive. Do you have a can of compressed air to blow it out with?

She could boot from a DVD to upgrade the OS and install software. That was when the DVDs mounted. There are cats and a dog in her house shedding fur, but I don't think any of the goats managed to get inside lately. Compressed air could be helpful. Otherwise I'll offer to switch out the CD burner from the FW enclosure and trade it for a DVD-RW. I don't want to take another iMac apart after doing ours last month.

Air. Thanks.