OK Couple of issues.

You will have to do a repair reinstall no matter what.

Yes it does come down to how much do I want to stick into this pig before I slaughter it for bacon question.

You have replaced the Harddrive.  So that is a no brainier.

If this is a MSI board are we talking about an OEM machine? You should be OK no matter what. You do have the original Install CD's right?

You are at the point where technology might say, upgrade.

Depends on what you want to go with.

A newer AM2 board dual core with DDR2 memory would be your best bet.

You should be able to find something that would fit your case.

Stewart