The only way to build a game machine yourself these days is to go buy
an issue of PC Gamer magazine and turn to the Hard Stuff section.
There, you'll find cheap, medium, and dream system components listed.
You usually can't go wrong building their medium system. Sometimes you
may want to get the video card listed in the Dream system, but only
get one of them - not the two card SLI config they usually list.

The reason I can't just tell you what it says is because of the video
cards, which are your primary concern for gaming. The models change
all the time, and the model numbers mean absolutely nothing (higher
numbers are sometimes inferior cards).

I can't disagree with db that economically it would be cheaper to find
a good system on sale. But building your own custom system has many
advantages, not the least of which is gaining a familiarity with (and
losing one's fear of) computer components.