OK, I stand corrected. I'll rephrase that. Obama changed his position to the Bush approach four months BEFORE the election, when he wanted to distance himself from the quick withdrawal and move toward the center.

Chris Dunford wrote:
The change in position you cite, was not part of his campaign as he
already had the nomination locked up last July

Oh, I thought that there was still an election he was campaigning for. :)

The fact of the matter is, you really can't say "Now that he is president,
he seems to see the wisdom in the Bush approach" when the position I
referenced was printed in the New York Times last July, more than four
months before the election.