> From: Computer Guys Discussion List [mailto:COMPUTERGUYS-
> l...@listserv.aol.com] On Behalf Of mike
>
> I can't help but wonder why Obama can't be taken at his word.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iivL4c_3pck

Context is everything.

This is seven-year-old academic discussion of the civil rights movement and
the law. It was one of a series. This one was titled "The Court and Civil
Rights". Others included "Slavery and the Constitution" and "The Right to
Vote". His role in these discussions is as a law professor (which is what he
was at the time, at the University of Chicago law school).

What it is, is his assertion that the courts are not equipped to effect
redistribution and, if this is what the civil rights movement wanted, then
it went about it in the wrong way.

What it emphatically is NOT is his prescription for what the government
-should- be doing.

He simply says that, if the civil rights movement wanted to pursue social
and economic justice, the court system was not the best place to do that,
because it can't. It is bound by the Constitution. He is saying that the
civil rights movement was too litigation-centered and could not achieve all
its goals that way.

He says so quite explicitly: "[T]he civil rights movements became so
court-focused, I think that there was a tendency to lose track of the
political and community organizing, and activities on the ground that are
able to put together the actual coalitions of power through which you bring
about redistributive change."

Where does he say that the Warren court -should- have acted to redistribute
wealth? Nowhere, is where.

Incidentally, the YouTube clip is creatively sliced and diced. It's not
quite as creative as Bernie Goldberg's now-infamous butchery of the Brokaw
interview, but it's not good. You should listen to the whole show:
http://apps.wbez.org/blog/?p=639