That brings up the the "Too Big to be good" equation again.

Sometimes size is an impediment to growth and quality and resources.

I know there are some who bash Wal-Mart here. At one time their model was good. There were many small towns that had no shopping till Sam brought his store to town, and he aimed at a store that could supply what the folks wanted at a reasonable price.

I remember when traveling through Arkansas many years ago those stores and wondering what they were.

What Sam started has turned into a monster of sorts.

When I lived in Wisconsin, I saw a lot of dairy farms (many of my members were some) There was a size point that had to be reached so that the small family farm could be profitable but still manageable.

There were a few of the super farms there, but there was a problem. They specialized in only producing milk. All their byproducts from the production of milk then had to be dealt with. You see on a smaller operation all waste products are recycled into the land. Yes there was a holding tank or manure pile but it was then recycled within a short period of time. These huge farms have a big waste problem that needs to be dealt with.

You also have to deal with the animal issue. I knew some veterinarians who would not deal with these farms. You see many farmers even though they are using these cows for milk production also cared about these animals and wanted them in the best health and condition. Corporate milk farms did not care about animal health and condition, only production. If a cow slows down or stops producing time to rotate it out. Thereby getting you an inferior product.

Breeding is a big key to the family dairy farm, you breed for production, but also quality and longevity.

Once a farm gets too big those things are not looked at only production.

Oh by the way both farms get paid the same amount for their milk, so there is no better price paid for quantity. But there is a difference in quality payments.

Big companies after a little while forget about the quality issue and only think profit.

I am wondering (I know that is always dangerous) how much of our supposed wealth on Wall street was driven solely by quantity and was not really wealth but an illusion of wealth?

Oh to keep this computer oriented. Small farmers are big tech guys. They keep all their records on computer, and track all their cows progress and production via computer so that they get breed with the best steer semen for offspring.

Stewart