>I can't think of any publicly-owned company that can afford to "just sit
>back and be satisfied."  Can you?

MS certainly has. Most obviously, they neglected InternetExplorer for
years and are now playing catch up. Waiting years for Vista and then
getting a flop is another. They are behind in cloud computing. Their
search engine is a very distant third so they are really back in the pack
with many little companies. I think much of their enterprise software is
substandard. They make some nice mice, but they are not top drawer. XBox
lost out to Wii. The Zune is a zune.

Can you name something MS makes that is considered best quality in its
category? I can't think of anything.