>What I have to conclude from this is that some implementations of the
>USB standard are faulty and do not work the way they are supposed to.

Your evidence does not necessitate that conclusion. You did not have an
example of successfully copying multiple GBs successfully and all the
failures you cited were for such large transfers.

So your experience proves that either you are right or I am right.

When I have 10GBs or more to move I have given up on USB. Such transfers
are quick and easy with FW. This is using many different brands and over
many years of trying.

I try to never use FW with Apple's G5 Pro towers because I think they
have a defect that occasionally fries my drive interface. To avoid the
expense I use USB whenever I can with these Macs. I would love to use USB
for large transfers, but I can't.